PhD student, MEAM
Shane is a PhD student in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics (MEAM) of the University of Pennsylvania, working with Kod*lab. He completed his undergraduate and Master’s studies at Tufts University in Medford Massachusetts in 2018.
Shane’s research interests are in dynamics and controls as they apply to robotics problems such as manipulation and locomotion. Currently he is working on skipping and other interesting forms of bipedal locomotion with the Penn Jerboa.
Prior to joining Kod*Lab Shane did his undergraduate and Master’s thesis research on soft robotics in the Neuromechanics and Biomimetic Devices Lab at Tufts University.
- S. Rozen-Levy, W. Messner, and B. A. Trimmer, “The design and development of Branch Bot: a branch-crawling, caterpillar-inspired, soft robot,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, p. 0278364919846358, May 2019.
- W. Crooks, S. Rozen-Levy, B. Trimmer, C. Rogers, and W. Messner, “Passive gripper inspired by Manduca sexta and the Fin Ray® Effect,” International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, vol. 14, no. 4, p. 1729881417721155, Jul. 2017.
- C. M. Donatelli et al., “Soft foam robot with caterpillar-inspired gait regimes for terrestrial locomotion,” in 2017 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2017, pp. 476–481.
- S. Rozen-Levy and B. Trimmer, “An orientation-independent, soft branch climbing robot based on Manduca sexta,” presented at the International Conference on Intelligent Robotics Systems, Sep-2017.
- P. Echols-Jones et al., “Soft foam robot with caterpillar-inspired gait regimes for terrestrial locomotion,” presented at the International Symposium on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, Jun-2017. [Outstanding Demo Award]
- C. Becker, L. Yount, S. Rozen-Levy, and J. Brewer, “Functional Safety Assessment of an Automated Lane Centering System,” no. DOT-VNTSC-NHTSA-17-01, Aug. 2018.
- S. Rozen-Levy, “The Design and Development of uBranch Bot, an Untethered, Branch-Crawling, Caterpillar-Inspired, Soft Robot,” M.S., Tufts University, United States — Massachusetts, 2019.