I completed a B.S./M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a B.S. in Applied Math from Johns Hopkins University (LIMBS lab) in 2010 and completed a Ph.D. program in ESE at Penn in Kodlab in 2017. I am currently a postdoc in the same lab through 2018.
I am co-founder and CTO of Ghost Robotics.
Research Areas and Projects
- Steady-state behaviors (“gaits”) using parallel composition — hybrid averaging, Minitaur virtual bipedal gaits, Jerboa hopping
- Transitional behaviors (“leaps”) — Jerboa leaping, Jerboa rolling
- Design — direct-drive robots, motor selection, Minitaur, Jerboa, Delta hopper
- Sensorimotor loops (servoing) — wall following, active visual servoing
- Bayesian estimation — approximate Bayesian estimation
- Juggling — paddle juggling
- Lateral perturbation recovery by a RHex robot (ESE650 final project, Sp 2012)
- Applications of homology to processing laser data (with Qian Wu, Su 2011)
- Finding optimal configuration space paths by variation of curves (MEAM620 final project, Sp 2011)
- Robotics: Mobility — created/delivered roughly 25% of the curriculum
- Robotics: Capstone — created/delivered roughly 50% of the curriculum
- TA for ESE 201, ESE 512 (both Dynamical systems courses)
Awards & Honors
- James McDonnell Postdoctoral Fellowship winner
- ICRA 2018 Best Reviewer Award
- For older awards see CV
Selected research videos
Videos featuring my gaits co-produced by Ghost Robotics
Also listed with google scholar. Listed anti-chronologically in IEEE format for copy-and-paste convenience:
Preprints / under review
A copy of documents under review may be obtained from the author via private correspondence.
A. Shamsah, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Analytically-Guided Design of a Tailed Bipedal Hopping Robot,” in IROS 2018 (under review), 2018.
A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Vertical hopper compositions for preflexive and feedback-stabilized quadrupedal bounding, pacing, pronking, and trotting,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 743–778, 2018. Preprint PDF
A. De, S. A. Burden, and D. E. Koditschek, “A hybrid dynamical extension of averaging and its application to the analysis of legged gait stability,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 37, no. 2–3, pp. 266–286, 2018. Preprint PDF
- G. Kenneally, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Design Principles for a Family of Direct-Drive Legged Robots,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 900–907, Jul. 2016. IEEE open access
- M. M. Ankarali, H. T. Sen, A. De, A. M. Okamura, and N. Cowan, “Haptic Feedback Enhances Rhythmic Motor Control By Reducing Variability, Not Convergence Rate,” Journal of Neurophysiology, p. jn.00140.2013, Dec. 2013.
- V. Vasilopoulos, O. Arslan, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Sensor-Based Legged Robot Homing Using Range-Only Target Localization,” in ROBIO 2017.
- G. Wenger, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Frontal plane stabilization and hopping with a 2DOF tail,” in Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2016 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, 2016, pp. 567–573. IEEE
- T. T. Topping, V. Vasilopoulos, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Towards bipedal behavior on a quadrupedal platform using optimal control,” in SPIE 9837, Unmanned Systems Technology XVIII, 2016, p. 98370H. SPIE
- A. L. Brill, A. De, A. M. Johnson and D. E. Koditschek, “Tail-Assisted Rigid and Compliant Legged Leaping,” in 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sep, 2015. IEEE
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Averaged Anchoring of Decoupled Templates in a Tail-Energized Monoped, 2015 International Symposium on Robotics Research, Sep, 2015. Springer
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Parallel composition of templates for tail-energized planar hopping,” in Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2015 IEEE International Conference on, 2015, pp. 4562–4569.
- A. De, K. S. Bayer, and D. E. Koditschek, “Active sensing for dynamic, non-holonomic, robust visual servoing,” in Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2014 IEEE International Conference on, 2014, pp. 6192–6198.
- A. De, A. Ribeiro, W. Moran, and D. E. Koditschek, “Convergence of Bayesian Histogram Filters for Location Estimation,” in Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Intl. Conference on Decision and Control, 2013.
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Toward dynamical sensor management for reactive wall-following,” in Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, 2013, pp. 2400–2406.
- A. De, G. Lynch, A. Johnson, and D. Koditschek, “Motor sizing for legged robots using dynamic task specification,” in 2011 IEEE Conference on Technologies for Practical Robot Applications (TePRA), 2011, pp. 64 –69.
- A. De, J. Lee, N. Keller, and N. J. Cowan, “Toward SLAM on Graphs,” in Algorithmic Foundation of Robotics VIII, vol. 57, G. S. Chirikjian, H. Choset, M. Morales, and T. Murphey, Eds. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2009, pp. 631–645.
Abstracts, Posters, and Technical Reports
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Hybrid averaging shows that within-stance symmetry helps mitigate coupling interactions between degrees of freedom in a sagittal 2DOF monoped and 3DOF biped,” Dynamic Walking 2017.
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Reactive coordination: stabilizing common quadrupedal gaits without CPGs,” Sixth Annual Winter Workshop on Neuromechanics and Dynamics of Locomotion, Tulane University – New Orleans, Louisiana, January 19 – 20, 2017. [[Attach:Avik/neuro2017_poster.pdf | Poster]]
- G. Kenneally, A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Design Principles for a Family of Direct-Drive Legged Robots,” RSS Workshop on Miniature Legged Robots, July, 2015.
- G. J. Wenger, A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Roll Stabilization on a Tailed Biped,” RSS workshop on robotic uses for tails, July, 2015.
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “The Penn Jerboa: A Platform for Exploring Parallel Composition of Templates,” Technical report, 2015. Also on arXiv:1502.05347 [cs.RO],
- A. De, A. M. Johnson and D. E. Koditschek, “Planar Hopping with a Leg and a Tail,” Dynamic Walking, June, 2014. [[Attach:Avik/dw2014final.pdf | Abstract]] [[Attach:Avik/dw2014_poster.pdf | Poster]]
- A. De, “Modular Hopping and Running via Parallel Composition” Ph.D. thesis, University of Pennsylvania, 2017.
- A. De, “Neuromechanical Control of Paddle Juggling,” Masters thesis, Johns Hopkins University, 2010.
Invited Talks (excluding conference talks)
- TBD — IROS 2018 template-based control workshop
- TBD — RSS 2018 tails workshop
- Toward robust locomotion subject to variations in robot scale, mass, payload, and environmental conditions — ICRA 2018 multilegged robots workshop
- Platform design using dynamic motor, electronics, and transmission models — ICRA 2018 actuator workshop
- Modular hopping and running (for biologists and engineers) — UC Berkeley biomechanics seminar — Oct 24, 2017
- Modular hopping and running — Boston University Robotics Lab — Oct 6, 2017
- Thesis Defense “Modular Hopping and Running via Parallel Composition” — Thesis defense — Sep 20, 2017
- CMU bipedal seminar — Feb 17, 2017
- Mechanically Simple, Behaviorally Versatile Quadrupeds — TRI tech talk (with Gavin Kenneally) — Feb 10, 2017
- Mechanically Simple, Behaviorally Versatile Quadrupeds — Google tech talk (with Gavin Kenneally) — Feb 7, 2017
- Anchored Behaviors from Template Compositions — UW seminar — Feb 3, 2017
- Sequential, Parallel and Symbolic Compositions — UPenn ESE PhD Colloquium — Fall 2015
- Anchor synthesis via template composition — AMAM 2015
- UPenn GRASP industry day — April 2015
- Parallel Composition of Templates for Tail-Energized Planar Hopping — MIT Biomimetic Robotics Lab — Oct 2014