PhD. student — started Fall 2010
Email: myfirstname [at] seas.upenn.edu
I completed a B.S./M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a B.S. in Applied Math from Johns Hopkins University in 2010 and started a Phd program in ESE at Penn in Kodlab.
I am a co-founder of Ghost Robotics: http://www.ghostrobotics.io/
Check out my personal website here: http://avikde.me
Research Areas and Projects
- Juggling — paddle juggling
- Lateral perturbation recovery by a RHex robot (ESE650 final project, Sp 2012)
- Applications of homology to processing laser data (with Qian Wu, Su 2011)
- Finding optimal configuration space paths by variation of curves (MEAM620 final project, Sp 2011)
Also listed with google scholar. Listed anti-chronologically in IEEE format for copy-and-paste convenience:
Preprints / under review
A copy of documents under review may be obtained from the author via private correspondence.
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Vertical hopper compositions for preflexive and feedback-stabilized quadrupedal bounding, pacing, pronking, and trotting,” under review.
- A. De, S. A. Burden and D. E. Koditschek, “A hybrid dynamical extension of averaging and its application to the analysis of legged gait stability,” under review.
- G. Kenneally, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Design Principles for a Family of Direct-Drive Legged Robots,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 900–907, Jul. 2016. IEEE open access
- M. M. Ankarali, H. T. Sen, A. De, A. M. Okamura, and N. Cowan, “Haptic Feedback Enhances Rhythmic Motor Control By Reducing Variability, Not Convergence Rate,” Journal of Neurophysiology, p. jn.00140.2013, Dec. 2013.
- G. Wenger, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Frontal plane stabilization and hopping with a 2DOF tail,” in Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2016 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, 2016, pp. 567–573. IEEE
- T. T. Topping, V. Vasilopoulos, A. De, and D. E. Koditschek, “Towards bipedal behavior on a quadrupedal platform using optimal control,” in SPIE 9837, Unmanned Systems Technology XVIII, 2016, p. 98370H. SPIE
- A. L. Brill, A. De, A. M. Johnson and D. E. Koditschek, “Tail-Assisted Rigid and Compliant Legged Leaping,” in 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sep, 2015. IEEE
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Averaged Anchoring of Decoupled Templates in a Tail-Energized Monoped, 2015 International Symposium on Robotics Research, Sep, 2015. (in press)
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Parallel composition of templates for tail-energized planar hopping,” in Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2015 IEEE International Conference on, 2015, pp. 4562–4569.PDF
- A. De, K. S. Bayer, and D. E. Koditschek, “Active sensing for dynamic, non-holonomic, robust visual servoing,” in Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2014 IEEE International Conference on, 2014, pp. 6192–6198. PDF
- A. De, A. Ribeiro, W. Moran, and D. E. Koditschek, “Convergence of Bayesian Histogram Filters for Location Estimation,” in Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Intl. Conference on Decision and Control, 2013. PDF
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Toward dynamical sensor management for reactive wall-following,” in Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, 2013, pp. 2400–2406. PDF
- A. De, G. Lynch, A. Johnson, and D. Koditschek, “Motor sizing for legged robots using dynamic task specification,” in 2011 IEEE Conference on Technologies for Practical Robot Applications (TePRA), 2011, pp. 64 –69.
- A. De, J. Lee, N. Keller, and N. J. Cowan, “Toward SLAM on Graphs,” in Algorithmic Foundation of Robotics VIII, vol. 57, G. S. Chirikjian, H. Choset, M. Morales, and T. Murphey, Eds. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2009, pp. 631–645. PDF
Abstracts, Posters, and Technical Reports
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Reactive coordination: stabilizing common quadrupedal gaits without CPGs,” Sixth Annual Winter Workshop on Neuromechanics and Dynamics of Locomotion, Tulane University - New Orleans, Louisiana, January 19 – 20, 2017. Poster
- G. Kenneally, A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Design Principles for a Family of Direct-Drive Legged Robots,” RSS Workshop on Miniature Legged Robots, July, 2015.
- G. J. Wenger, A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “Roll Stabilization on a Tailed Biped,” RSS workshop on robotic uses for tails, July, 2015. Abstract
- A. De and D. E. Koditschek, “The Penn Jerboa: A Platform for Exploring Parallel Composition of Templates,” Technical report, 2015. Available: arXiv:1502.05347 [cs.RO], Penn ScholarlyCommons
- A. De, A. M. Johnson and D. E. Koditschek, “Planar Hopping with a Leg and a Tail,” Dynamic Walking, June, 2014. Abstract Poster
- A. De, “Neuromechanical Control of Paddle Juggling,” Masters thesis, Johns Hopkins University, 2010.
Invited Talks (excluding conference talks)
- CMU bipedal seminar — Feb 17, 2017
- Mechanically Simple, Behaviorally Versatile Quadrupeds — TRI tech talk (with Gavin Kenneally) — Feb 10, 2017
- Mechanically Simple, Behaviorally Versatile Quadrupeds — Google tech talk (with Gavin Kenneally) — Feb 7, 2017
- Anchored Behaviors from Template Compositions — UW seminar — Feb 3, 2017
- Sequential, Parallel and Symbolic Compositions — UPenn ESE PhD Colloquium — Fall 2015
- Anchor synthesis via template composition — AMAM 2015
- UPenn GRASP industry day — April 2015
- Parallel Composition of Templates for Tail-Energized Planar Hopping — MIT Biomimetic Robotics Lab — Oct 2014